Date: January 11
A megaproject with an investment of more than $350 million, for the benefit of all Peruvians.
- WHAT ARE ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY STANDARDS (ECA)?
The ECAs establish the concentration levels of elements or substances present in the environment that do not represent risks to health and the environment. In Peru we have five types of ECA for water, air, soil, noise and non-ionizing radiation.
- WHICH STATE ENTITY SUPERVISES THE ACTIVITIES OF THE SOUTH PIER?
The activities of the South Dock are constantly supervised by the Ministry of Transport and Communications through the DGAAM, the National Port Authority and OSITRAN as the entity that supervises compliance with the Concession Contract.
- WILL BEACH AREAS IN SURROUNDING DISTRICTS BE DREDGED?
No. The dredging works will only be carried out within the concession area and towards the sea, without affecting the beach areas.
- IS IT TRUE THAT THE EXPANSION OF THE SOUTH PIER WILL BE CARRIED OUT TO THE SOUTH, AFFECTING THE BEACHES CLOSE TO THE TERMINAL?
No. The South Dock expansion project only contemplates extending out to sea, circumscribing the limits of the concession area.
- DOES THE PROJECT GENERATE POLLUTION OF ANY KIND IN THE SURROUNDING AREAS?
DP WORLD CALLAO maintains high environmental and safety standards, guaranteeing that no adverse effects are generated on the environment or on health, it even has the ISO 14001 environmental management certification. During the years of operation, no incidents have been recorded at the South Dock that have involved some kind of damage to the environment. The South Dock maintains high environmental and safety standards, guaranteeing that no adverse effects on the environment or health are generated, it even has the ISO 14001 environmental management certification. During the years of operation, no incidents have been recorded at the South Dock that have involved some kind of damage to the environment.
- HAVE AIR, WATER, NOISE OR OTHER QUALITY MONITORING BEEN CARRIED OUT?
Yes. The results of the indicators are carried out quarterly and are presented in the Environmental Reports that are sent to the corresponding authorities. To date, all the results are within the parameters established by law.
- IS IT TRUE THAT THE PROJECT WILL REDUCE THE SPACE ON THE SURROUNDING BEACHES?
No. Changes in sea level and in ocean currents are a phenomenon that has been occurring for several decades. It can be verified that abnormal waves are a phenomenon that occurs on the entire Pacific coast and whose frequency could have increased as a consequence of climate change due to the greenhouse effect and global warming. There is no evidence that the changes in the water level and the orientation of the waves on the Chucuito beaches are due to the construction of the South Pier.
- WILL THE EXPANSION PROJECT CONTAMINATE THE SEA, PUTTING MARINE SPECIES IN THE AREA IN DANGER?
The South Pier operations do not discharge waste into the sea. Our Environmental Impact Study (EIA) contemplates SERFOR's participation to protect the life of the species possibly involved in the construction process.
- THE COMPANY SAYS THAT IT WILL INVEST NEARLY USD 350 MILLION IN THE EXPANSION OF THE SOUTH PIER, BUT WILL IT MAKE SOCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS FOR THE POPULATION LOCATED IN THE AREA OF INFLUENCE?
The Concession Contract does not provide for any specific obligation regarding the creation of a fund with contributions from port operations. However, as part of our policy of responsibility with the social environment where we operate, DP World carries out sustainability campaigns in which we benefit various groups in the surrounding areas such as schools, nursing homes, civil associations, among others. At DP World we will always be open to collaborating in the development of the local community, for which we constantly evaluate all opportunities that especially benefit the population of Callao.
- WILL THE INVESTMENT IN THE SOUTH PIER GENERATE JOBS FOR PEOPLE IN THE AREA?
The inhabitants of the surrounding areas can apply at any time for the jobs that are required currently or in the future.
- THE EXPANSION OF THE SOUTH PIER WILL IMPLY MORE PEOPLE MOVING THROUGH THIS PART OF CALLAO. WHAT MEASURES WILL YOU TAKE TO PREVENT THE SITE FROM BECOMING A SOURCE OF COVID-19 INFECTION?
DP World has implemented a whole preventive plan to mitigate the risks of contagion by COVID-19. The internal protocols are very strict and will be mandatory for the workers participating in the expansion of the dock.
- WILL THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE SOUTH PIER EXPANSION IMPLY THAT TRUCKS WITH CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL GO THROUGH AREAS SUCH AS CHUCUITO OR LA PUNTA?
According to the Road Impact Study of the project presented to the authorities, the transit of construction trucks will be carried out along Av. Manco Cápac to Avenida Gambetta, and vice versa. The possibility of bringing the filling material and other necessary materials by sea is being evaluated. The use of the roads is not foreseen in areas such as Chucuito or La Punta.
- WILL VEHICLE CONGESTION INCREASE DURING CONSTRUCTION?
During the execution of the project, the measures established in the Road Impact Study will be applied in order to mitigate any congestion that may be generated as a result of the entry and exit of vehicles during the duration of the work.
- WHEN THE WORK IS COMPLETED, WHAT BENEFITS WILL THE COUNTRY HAVE?
The expansion will make it possible for the capacity of the Port of Callao to increase from an average of 1.3 million TEUs to 1.9 million per year, which will position it as one of the main ports on the west coast of South America. A greater capacity of the South Pier will allow more income to be generated for the Central Government and the Regional Government of Callao from taxes and royalties. In this way, the State will be able to carry out works in favor of the neighboring areas of the port. the ISO 14001 environmental management certification. During the years of operation, no incidents have been recorded at the South Dock that have involved any type of damage to the environment.
Source: ASOCIACIÓN PERUANA DE AGENTES MARITIMOS